Arduino Flow Bench

My plan is to build a cheap flow bench that I can use to measure results of my novice porting job on my 1988 mustang heads and intake. I hope to be able to flow before and after to measure improvements for a reasonable cost. So for I have programmed an Arduino to read my Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor from my 88 mustang project.

A little detail on the project car. I have slowly been modding a 1988 Mustang LX 4 cylinder to a V8.
I installed a 5.0 HO out of a 1988 Lincoln Mark IIV with unknown mileage. I installed a wiring harness out of a 91 Mustang GT and made several changes to the harness to get the car running. Shortly after the car was running it blew a head gasket. Which I replaced and had the E7 cylinder heads rebuilt by a local machine shop that could only perform a multi angle valve job. So the heads have that upgrade going for them. I have a 8.8 that I rebuilt ready to go in. It consists of a rebuilt Traction Loc with 3.73 gears that I installed. I also have a 91 model T5 rebuilt ready to be installed. The T5 I rebuilt which received a brand new 2nd gear and a all new synchronizers. The clutch is a Ram replacement and the Clutch cable and quadrant were replaced with Steeda quick release quadrant and adjustable clutch cable. I have installed an aluminum radiator from Speedway otors performance parts. Electric fans from a 2000 Mercury Cougar. An explorer intake and throttle body have been installed. I also have installed a custom 3 inch exhaust that is dumped before the axle. It has 2 chamber flow masters on it now.

So here is the list of items I plan on doing to the car.

  1. install transmission
  2. install rear end
  3. finish painting the outside of the car with Eastwood Chassis Black
  4. build an Arduino based display to show the sensor voltages and offer a couple performance improvements.
  5.  build an Arduino based electric fan speed controller/soft start
  6. port the explorer intake
  7. port the  E7 heads
  8. Arduino based fuel injector cleaner setup for cheap
  9. install rebuilt injectors out of a 1995 F150 - 19LbHr Bosch injectors with 4 spray nozzles vs the stoc 1 spray nozzle
  10. install an Anderson Motorsports N41 cam with matching valve train
  11. replace mufflers with Magnaflow knock offs to quiet it down. (I'm getting older an don't care for loud anymore)
  12. distant future I have a 351W roller motor out of a friends 1995 F150 that needs rebuilding.
  13. very distant future a single turbo to make this car a lot of fun on the street. I care more about torque over max HP. 
I'll document as I go.



tools used for the Arduino based flow bench.


Arduino Nano
20x4 LCD display
Ford Mustang GT Mass Air Sensor
Connector for Ford Mass Air Sensor
12V DC power supply
Bread Board
leaf blower

Once it is up and running I make a how to post.

Enjoy
Joe



Comments